Tuesday 22 February 2011

Day Trip to Ely

I did a trial run to Ely just to see if there were any problems associated with my intended route, because I will be taking Carolyn with me on June 4th. It involved getting to King's Cross and taking the King's Lynn train to Ely. It was fast to Cambridge, which saved a bit of time. It's also possible to get a train to Cambridge (either slow or fast) and then changing, but the way I did it was the simplest. The cathedral is only about half a mile from Ely station but it's on quite a steep hill.

I got there OK and had a look around but the weather was so bad that I wasn't seeing the place in all its glory. There were very few tourists and the high street was deserted. I had a bit of lunch in the grounds and after about half an hour or so made my way back home again.

The journey home was a bit slower because I had just missed a train but I quite enjoyed just sitting on the station platform and letting the world go by.

I came home via Victoria which was a bit of a mistake because the tube station is being refurbished and a lot of the normal exits were closed. This added an extra 10 minutes and a lot of aggro to an otherwise straightforward operation.

Looking back on it there was nothing awkward about the trip, except for the Victoria bit, so I'm fairly confident that Carolyn and I can do it without any problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment