Saturday, 19 September 2026

S284 Astronomy Boot camp

Now that the MST124 exam is over, I can concentrate on the S284 Astronomy Bootcamp. The MST124 results are expected on or around 27 October and I will publish them and details about how the exam went here, and a review of the module here.

The S284 Astronomy Boot camp officially starts today and carries on for the next for two weeks. As you can probably guess, I've already made a start. There are four main components of the Boot camp materials: An online guide, with assessment exercises & quizzes, a dedicated forum, online tutorials, and reference materials to assist with self-directed study/revision. Four areas are covered: time-management, study skills, maths and physics. The Adobe Connect tutorials for this module start next week. There's one on Saturday morning, one Tuesday lunchtime and another Thursday evening. Students are only expected to attend one of these as they all cover more or less the same ground. Curiously, they are not recorded so have to be attended live. Another curious thing - they have been described by the module team as 'drop-in clinics'. As always, I'll engage with all that Boot camp has to offer, but I'm also aware of 'burn out' because I have just finished a module a few days ago and I need a bit of a break.


Topic 5 appears to be missing and I'm not-so-reliably informed that it is either called Electricity and Magnetism or Minerals and Rocks but nobody really knows for certain. It may have something to do with the predecessor module S282 Astronomy which shared some pre-module engagement resources with S283 Planetary Science and the Search for Life.